Tandem Security SIG Minutes
May 6, 1999 - Westin Harbour Castle Hotel
John Leeson, SNS/Assure Corp.
Mark Wilson, SNS/Assure Corp.
John Fong, Royal Bank
Nazir Khan, Royal Bank
Norman Chan, Royal Bank
Richard Cheng, TSE
Barry Forbes, CSP
Mary Howell, CSP
Anne Osso, Bell Sigma
Jay Madore, CSP (CTUG board representative)
Jack McAuley, Compaq
Ron Thompson, CAIL
Andy Woodstsa, CAIL
Roy Nayffts, CSP
C. Zielinski, CSP
Jay McLaughlin, Unlimited Software Associates, Inc.
1:05 - 1:25 Barry Forbes from CSP
- Welcome and Agenda
- Cathie Searle has moved on to other Projects and Jack McAuley has
come out to join us from Compaq
1:15 - 1:45 Ron Thompson from CAIL
- Presentation on Secure Communications
(Cail and Xypro team up for Security product offering)
- With secure communications you can avoid the surprises
- Software based (equals flexible) secure communications
- Secure Access plus Encryption Basic (DES 40,56 168 triple DES and more)
- The presentation covered a solution which Desktop to Host security.
- Provides Audit information
- CTT Security Facility is an excellent solution for secure and encrypted
sessions from desktop to Host.
1:45 - 2:00 Mark Wilson from SNS/Assure
- Security Related IPM's
- T9750D30 ADL
- Avoids "Internal Program Error" abend
- Fixes event record problem
- T9190D30 ACP
- Provides a NETBATCH fix
- A hard copy list of other Security related IPM were provided which covered
all of 1998 and 1999.
- Mark talked about the Dale Blommendahl's message on voting for an RFE.
The RFE document was handed out along with voting instructions.
2:00 - 2:05 Jay Madore, CTUG Technical Director
- CTUG is looking for more volunteers for the Board of Directors.
Position: Director at Large. Please contact
CTUG via the CTUG WEB site if you are
- Jay announced a May 18th ISG Navigator & SQL MX presentation. Check the
WEB site for further details
- September 14th is Technical Presentation Day. CTUG is looking for
2:05 - 2:30 BREAK
2:30 - 3:00 Mary Howell from CSP
- Mary presented Protect 2000 R2
- This is a functionality enhancement release from R1
- Mary presented numerous enhancements
- Review of some BUG fixes
- Mary fielded questions on specific issues from the audience which
- OSS questions posed by Norman.
All OSS security issues are handled by the OSS kernel Unix like security.
Safeguard only protects NSK file system files only.
OSS files look like $volume.#string to Safeguard.
- Is anyone interested in an Explorer like interface for NSK file system?
- TACL Autologoff functionality as it pertains to:
- No one seemed to be using the JAVA interface to Tandem for 6530
3:00 - 3:30 Open discussion:
- Auditors Autologoff issues could be handled by the fact that the Policy
Document should be a living document and if other features like screen saver
passwords are in place that should cover any issues.
- In defense of the screen saver protection vs. TACL Autologoff feature;
since Tandem systems are mission critical systems if a logon is required to
access system resources at a critical time the availability of the system
might be at stake. Therefore, a logged on TACL behind a password protected
screen saver should be an acceptable solution if your Security Policy supports
- ETUG had record turnout.
- Current K series processors are running around 200 MHz. When K/S series go
Alpha they will be in the 1 GHz processing range.
- The security and Audit mailing list is at
to subscribe use these instructions.
Administrative requests (subscribe, unsubscribe, who) go to
3:30 - 3:50 Barry Forbes, Closing Remarks
- There will be another ITUG Security Chat, Barry will provide the details
in the near future.
- There will be a TELCO chat on May 18th, call Barry for details.
- CSP is now Tivoli Certified
- Ann Osso will provide some of the results of her Y2K testing.
- Barry announced that Marianne Third from ISM will do a Security
Presentation at the next meeting.
- Mark Wilson will arrange a CA Unicenter Presentation for the next meeting.
- The next meeting will be held at Compaq on September 14th. It may be
coupled with the CTUG presentation day. Details to follow. ( Compaq Building
is Hwy #404 and 16th Avenue, Richmond Hill)
- Mark Wilson expressed the groups appreciation to all who participated,
especially to CSP for hosting this meeting.
Minutes taken by: Jack McAuley and Jay McLaughlin, additions and final
distribution Mark Wilson.