CTUG Regular Executive Board Meeting
April 12, 2004 - Meeting Minutes
4:08PM-5:12PM Eastern Time (US & Canada).
- Montreal Technical Session - ITUG Review Update
- Preamble: Session content tentatively finalized,
promotion to begin in earnest following conference. Proposed date was during
the week of May 10th. Promotion of the French only event was to begin on
April 15th, following the spring conference.
- Discussion: Since neither Marc nor Denis were
available, there wasn't much progress to report on the logistical details
for the technical session, such as date, cost and registration fees.
- Previous Action Item: Javid to arrange a conference
call with Marc and Denis to finalize details. Status:
Despite repeated attempts, a conference call has not been arranged. This
will be deferred until after the conference. As a result, promotion of the
event would also be delayed.
- Spring Conference Planning
- Preamble: Date and Location: April 14, 2004 at the
Metro Toronto Convention Centre. Education Day on April 15, 2004. Speakers
confirmed: Paul Tsaparis, President and CEO of HP (Canada) to give welcome
to the conference; Scott Healey to give keynote speech; Suri Harish to give
NED update; Richard Buckle, Chairman of ITUG, to give an ITUG update; Terry
Shannon of ShannonknowsHP to give his perspective. Education Day Course
selected: Web Services for the NonStop Server. Course schedule confirmed.
- Fred Griffith and Karim Hasham have volunteered to help out at the
conference. The most need is during the registration process. Mae Belvett
indicated that she would also volunteer. Javid was to contact her to get
confirmation, and provide details.
- John indicated that he had received an email from Ernie Guerrerra
regarding NuWave's vendor track and bio. As it appeared that the bio was not
brief enough and the full presentation was provided rather than the
abstract, Javid said he would follow up with Ernie regarding what CTUG
- Previous Action Item: Javid to follow up with NuWave
regarding abstract and bio. Status: Done. Javid received
and distributed abstract and abbreviated bio.
- Javid reported that the speaker content was finalized. Greg Chappell was
to speak in Paul Tsaparis's stead, and Greg's bio and abstract had been
received and posted. Javid reported that Terry Shannon's presentation had
- Marlon, Pio, Philippe, John and Javid indicated that they would be
attending the Education Day.
- Javid reported the numbers relating to registration. The numbers were
143 people registered, including vendors, presenters and board members. 13
to pay at the door. These were unbelievable results, and Javid said that the
board should be very proud of the work that was being done.
- Pio was in contact with other vendors and had received a number of
commitments for door prizes. The full list of prizes was contained in the
conference checklist. Vendors were however, reluctant to sponsor any of the
- Discussion Item: Pio received shirts, pad and pens. He
requested help in carting them to the convention centre. John volunteered.
Nancy was to fax to Alvin the invoice for payment.
- New Action Item: Javid to confirm the earliest time
of entry. Status: Done. Earliest entry time is 7am. Board
members are requested to get there at 7 am, prior to vendors or any eager
- New Action Item: Pio to preprint badges based on the
list of registrations provided by Javid. Status: In
Progress. Will be complete by the conference, based on the latest list of
registrations provided by Javid.
- Discussion Item: Javid provided the conference program
and asked for feedback. Generally, the program was well received. Dick asked
that Joy-Ellen Lipsky, in lieu of a speaking slot, be given a page in the
program to promote the DSPP program. Also, a page should be provided to
allow people to pose questions to the Q&A panel. Javid asked for
confirmation as to the composition of the Q&A panel. Dick indicated that
Suri, Sally McNeill, Tom Vaisanen and Terry Shannon would be on the panel,
and Dick would serve as moderator. Javid asked if there was anyone who had
access to a colour printing facility - Marlon indicated that he could do the
- New Action Item: Javid to finalize the program and
send to Marlon for printing.
- Discussion Item: Javid provided the vendor survey and
asked for feedback. Aside from typos, there were no other changes.
- Line Item Review of Conference Checklist Items
- Adjourned at 5:12 PM. Moved by Pio, seconded by Philippe.
- Next Meeting: April 30, 2004
- Minutes taken by: Javid Quadri