CTUG Regular Executive Board Meeting
March 19, 2004 - Meeting Minutes
12: 10PM-1:30PM Eastern Time (US & Canada).
- Previous meeting approval
- Approved by Randall, seconded by Marlon
- Spring Conference Planning - Education Day
- Course selected is Web Services for NonStop. Education Day to be held on
April 15th in Room 205CD. Dick reported that the instructor, Goon-Loong
Liew, is confirmed. Awaiting final course schedule to be received and
- Action Item: Dick to follow up and obtain the course
- Montreal Technical Session - ITUG Review Update
- Marc reported that a tentative schedule had been decided on. The session
was to be in French, conducted by Claude Drouin. Topics to be covered:
- Recap of the latest NonStop developments since ITUG
- Typical applications for NonStop
- Dispelling myths about NonStop
- Adaptive Capability
- NonStop personalities - Guardian and OSS
- Question was raised as to the timing of the event. A consensus was
reached that focus should be maintained on the Spring Conference, and that
the Montreal session should be held during the second week in May. Promotion
of the event, including website content and email communication, was to be
initiated on April 15th, the day after conference. Philippe agreed to
translate emails and web content into French.
- This is to be a paid event, in order to help cover the costs of the
- Randall requested help in translating the web site into French, to
coincide with the launch of the communications of the Montreal Technical
Session. Philippe agreed to help Randall, Marc to proofread
- Action Item: Marc to distribute the tentative
conference agenda, in French, to the board for preparation for the launch of
promotion of the Technical Session.
- Action Item: Randall and Philippe to prepare for launch
of web site content in French on April 15th
- Action Item: John and Philippe to prepare for launch of
email promotions in French on April 15th
- Question regarding release of company list:
- John raised a query that he had received. The query had to do with the
release of a list of the companies for which members worked. Randall pointed
out that although the restrictions regarding companies wasn't as stringent
companies that were, in effect, individuals. The consensus was that such a
- Spring Conference Planning
- Javid reported that there were a total of 25 registrants for the
conference, 2 groups and 13 individuals
- Discussion centered around whether early registrations must be prepaid.
There had been a little reluctance on the part of some of the membership to
pay online. Suggestion of telephone confirmation was rejected as being
potentially too much of a burden on the Finance Director, in addition to the
fact that there was no proper validation of the credit card information
prior to the conference. As this is the first year for accepting online
credit card payments, it was agreed that an online form would be made
available to allow those reluctant to pay online the opportunity to register
early and obtain the discounted price. Communications would stress the
benefits of paying online. The membership response would dictate how future
events are managed. The deadline for the early registration discount was
confirmed as March 31st.
- Karim Hasham has agreed to volunteer at the conference. This brings the
number of volunteers to two: Karim and Fred Griffith. Javid indicated that
the most need was at the registration process.
- HP will contribute as part of their sponsorship, a door prize of a
digital camera and photo printer. Dick to purchase and be reimbursed by
- CTUG to purchase two $100 gift certificates to be given up as door
- Pio was in contact with other vendors and had received a number of
commitments for door prizes.
- Marlon had finalized the layout of the exhibit hall, and received
approval from the MTCC. The plan was being distributed to the vendors,
starting with HP.
- John indicated that he could secure one projector for the conference.
With Dick's projector that left two projectors that needed to be secured
from the MTCC.
- Line Item Review of Conference Checklist Items
- Adjourned at 1: 26 PM. Moved by Marlon, seconded by Alvin
- Next Meeting: April 2nd, 2004
- Minutes taken by: Javid Quadri