CTUG Regular Executive Board Meeting
October 30, 2003 - Minutes
4:05PM – 5:15PM
- Previous meeting approval
- Approval moved by Dick, seconded by Philippe
- Web master - handover to Randall Becker – in progress
- ACTION ITEM: Randall to report on progress of website handover
- Randy and Joseph to get together when Randy is in town to discuss
issues and officially hand over web site. This is an urgent requirement,
as the web site content needs to be updated with session and registration
- ITUG Report
- Randall and Dick attended the ITUG conference as representatives of
- Randall was asked to act as the official CTUG representative for ITUG.
Among the things that have been requested of Randall during his attendance
at ITUG are:
- Ensure vendors are coming to the CTUG conference
- Determine if there are any speakers that would be good as presenters
at a technical session or key notes at the conference and see if we can
interest them in presenting for us.
- Determine if there are any topics that would be of particular interest
to our members. We can use them in future sessions.
- Make contact with members from Montreal, and determine if they have
any issues or questions regarding our renewed presence in Montreal
- Determine the interest level in Alberta. (Not that we necessarily will
do anything about it at this time, being busy with Montreal, but it may be
something where we get contacts and gauge interest for future reference.)
- Generally see what other things are around that will help maintain and
grow the organisation.
- ACTION ITEM: Randall and Dick to report on ITUG.
- There about 2000 people that attended ITUG, which is on the high end
- The sessions were excellent, but there were fewer vendors and fewer
- Tom Perkins, as a co-founder of Tandem and current HP Board Member,
gave a key note speech highlighting the history of Tandem and indicating
that 20% of revenue from NonStop is directed to research on the R&D
- Among the notable presentations were the Commander of a Coast Guard
vessel describing the actions during the Perfect Storm, the Mayo Clinic
discussing their system of patent records, which is available to all
departments. As this is the 25th anniversary of ITUG, a reception was held
at the San Jose Art Gallery. James Treybig attended.
- RUGS are getting together to form Road shows. Potential RUGs to
leverage sessions include Denver group, and North Eastern U.S. group and
the Detroit user group.
- Another item was an idea on engaging executives. The notion would be
for the RUG to hold a dinner, sponsored by the vendors for high level
customers. HP would send a high level representative. Details on the
logistics of this are to be worked out.
- Notables in their absence were representatives from IBM, TD and
- A push by HP education to promote Certification brought about by
Prometrics 420 – 430 tests. This process is quite comprehensive and covers
both hardware and software concerns. This is a possible offering for the
- No members from Western Canada were met.
- ACTION ITEM: Contact other RUGS for cooperation of future
- November Technical Session
- Planning for session
- ACTION ITEM: Subcommittee to report on session details
- ACTION ITEM: Emails to start going out and website to be updated.
- The session agenda was discussed. A desire to add a user presentation
was expressed, however, a suitable presentation was not available.
- Emails have been sent out, and are intended to go out once every 5 to
- Web site to be updated with session information and registration page.
- Date and Location
- Toronto, Metro Hall, November 25th
- Montreal, Institut international des télécommunications, November
- Both venues are confirmed.
- Accountant has been selected: Sims and Company, 346 Forman Avenue,
Toronto, Ont. Contact: Steve Sims 416-481-9101x22.
- DEFERRED ACTION ITEM: Address change to be done to CTUG Inc. c/o
Dick Bird, HP Canada, 675 Cochrane Dr., Markham Ontario, L3R 0Y7.
- Status: Defer to the accountant
- DEFERRED ACTION ITEM: Alvin to contact Visa and Amex to change contact
- Status: Alvin will verify by June 14th 2003
- DEFERRED ACTION ITEM: Alvin to change address during business
- Status: Defer to the accountant
- ACTION ITEM: Alvin to complete report in the next meeting.
- ACTION ITEM: Alvin to have cheques reprinted without addresses.
- Nearly Complete: But questionable charges require Alvin to follow up.
- Accountant has generated the financial statements. Alvin gave a
summary as to the revenues and expenses as of the end of the fiscal
year, April 30th, 2003.
- Accountant has filed income tax forms.
- Accountant has been paid.
- Accountant is willing to have their address be the de-facto address
- Questionable charges have been addressed.
- Location for next Spring Conference
- Javid and Pio to decide on a venue
- ACTION ITEM: Continue investigating alternatives.
- Javid reported that he has been in contact with the Metro Toronto
Convention Centre. The other venue that he looked at was the Ontario Bar
Association, whose spaces was not quite adequate for our needs.
- Pio hadn’t reported any contact with any other venues.
- Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Received so far: Dick, Alvin, John, Philippe
- ACTION ITEM: Board members to return signed copy to Javid for filing.
- General Liability Insurance for board members
- ACTION ITEM: Javid to follow up with KRG regarding quote.
- ACTION ITEM: (Carry over) Randy to provide Javid with additional
contact numbers for additional quotes.
- Javid reported that this is still in progress.
- ACTION ITEM: Alvin to purchase the honoraria and deliver to the eligible
- The honoraria have been purchased and are in the process of being
- Ratification of ITUG Regional Agreement
- ACTION ITEM: Javid to follow up and deliver signed agreement to
- Javid signed the agreement and sent it to Dick. Dick delivered the
agreement to ITUG at the RUG luncheon at the ITUG Summit.
- Next Meeting
- November 14, 2003
- Conference Call
- Meeting Adjourned
- Moved by Marc, seconded by Alvin
- Adjourned at 5:15 PM
- Minutes taken by: Javid Quadri