CTUG Regular Executive Board Meeting
September 12, 2003 - Minutes
15:50pm – 8:00pm
Armadillo’s Texas Grill
- Previous meeting approval moved by Dick; seconded by Alvin
- CaNUC update: nothing to report
- Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Discuss any objections to the NDA. Approve if none, and start signing
- Marlon, by proxy, indicated that the last sentence of paragraph 4 should
be incorporated into paragraph 5. This was discussed and not adopted.
- Marlon, by proxy, indicated that the last sentence of paragraph 3 should
be removed as too harsh. This was discussed and not adopted.
- Action Item from Previous Meeting: Dick asked for a correction on
the name of HP on the CTUG Non-Disclosure Agreement. DONE
- NDA was approved.
- ACTION ITEM: For future CTUG correspondence, the address should
reflect that of the accountant, rather than HP.
- ACTION ITEM: Board Members to return signed copy to Javid for
- Accountant has been selected: Sims and Company, 346 Forman Avenue,
Toronto, Ont. Contact: Steve Sims 416-481-9101x22.
- ACTION ITEM: Alvin to have cheques reprinted without addresses.
- Nearly Complete: But questionable charges require Alvin to follow up.
- ACTION ITEM: Alvin to work with accountant to finalize books and
complete outstanding items
- DEFERRED ACTION ITEM: Address change to be done to CTUG Inc. c/o
Dick Bird, HP Canada, 675 Cochrane Dr., Markham Ontario, L3R 0Y7.
- Status: Defer to the accountant
- DEFERRED ACTION ITEM: Alvin to contact Visa and Amex to change
- Status: Alvin will verify by June 14th 2003
- DEFERRED ACTION ITEM: Alvin to change address during business
- Status: Defer to the accountant
- General Liability Insurance for board members
- ACTION ITEM: Javid to submit an application form for a quote
- ACTION ITEM: Randy to provide Javid with additional contact
numbers for additional quotes.
- Wrap-up/Post-Mortem from Spring Conference
- ACTION ITEM: Alvin to provide an attendees summary. DONE
- List-Server Decision
- DEFERRED ACTION ITEM: Javid and Randy to follow up. Non-critical.
To be looked at later. The current procedure works fine. When Javid and
Randy can get together, they will work out something. A change has been made
to the CanHost list server support.
- DEFERRED ACTION ITEM: As time permits, investigate the CanHost
- Joseph indicated that there were other options to what CanHost provides,
including ASP functions that could serve as a members area. He has indicated
a willingness to help with that.
- ACTION ITEM: Dick and Angelo to try to get the 92 names from that
area from Francois. To be followed up by the June Tech Session subcommittee.
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Proposal for discussion from Javid:
- Dick suggested that a clause should be inserted to exclude HP from
- Alvin noted that there were still some references to ‘membership’.
- Randy suggested that a clause should be inserted indicating that CTUG
has the right of refusal for a sponsorship.
- Marlon noted, by proxy, that the wording relating to the last year’s
booths should be reworded.
- Randy suggested that in lieu of a booth that a “Gold” membership would
include a certain number of registrations to the annual conference.
- Marlon suggested that the name be a corporate SPONSOR rather than a
corporate MEMBER to avoid the notion that may be introduced of a
membership fee. Status: Done
- Action Item: Javid to revise and resubmit.
- Proposal for honoraria:
- Philippe and Pio discussed and arrived at the following honoraria for
the last year’s board: $500 Gift Certificate to Best Buy. The following
board members are eligible for this honorarium:
- Javid Quadri
- Randall Becker
- Joseph Iuso
- Marlon Henry
- Alvin Wong
- Christian Berndt
- ACTION ITEM: Alvin to purchase the honoraria and deliver to the
- Access to Metro Hall Facilities
- Javid and Philippe to explore access to Metro Hall facilities
- Javid stated that Councilor Sandra Bussin had given verbal sponsorship,
which is a requirement for usage of these facilities.
- ACTION ITEM: Javid to finalize the access and arrange for the use
of the facilities for the November technical session.
- Topic for Next Technical Session
- A decision needs to be made on the topic for the next technical session.
Things to consider for the session are: availability of speakers,
portability to Montreal, popularity of topic, etc.
- We are looking at holding the technical session towards the end of
November in Toronto and Montreal.
- Some potential topics are:
- OSS primer
- ITUG Conference Mini-Review
- Migration Issues - Customers speak out about their solutions to
- Being entrepreneurial: Tools and Help available when creating an
- ACTION ITEM: Dick, Randall and Philippe to form a subcommittee to
arrive at a topic and provide speakers that can make presentations in
Toronto and Montreal
- Location for next Spring Conference
- A decision on whether we are going to return to St. Andrew's for the
2004 spring conference. This requires a viable alternative that would give
us increased space for presentations and for vendor booths. I have asked Pio
to look into this for us.
- ACTION ITEM: Javid and Pio to decide on a venue
- Ratification of ITUG Regional Agreement
- We need to discuss objections to signing the agreement, now that there
is no obligation to share our member list with ITUG. As an incentive to
signing the agreement, ITUG will give a 50% discount to the CTUG designated
attendee to the ITUG conference.
- Marlon expressed unease with sentence 5 of Section B relating to the
ITUG discount was inappropriate and should be taken out. This was discussed
- Javid expressed concern regarding a clause in Section D indicating that
upon termination, the REGION will turn over the membership list to ITUG.
Randy stated that this would be contrary to the laws of Canada and could not
be complied with. The board voted to remove this clause from the agreement.
- The board ratified the agreement, subject to the removal of the
aforementioned clause in Section D.
- ACTION ITEM: Javid to communicate with ITUG regarding the CTUG
- Web master - hand over to Randall Becker – in progress
- Interim Replacement for Yann - Marlon Henry
- CTUG Representation at ITUG
- § Dick proposed that CTUG cover the cost of the president’s expenses in
attending ITUG. Consensus was that this was an appropriate expenditure for
the board. Javid suggested that each year, the President and Director of
Finance determine the viability of the costs with respect to the financial
health of CTUG. The motion was passed unanimously with two abstentions.
- Randall was asked to act as the official CTUG representative for ITUG.
Among the things that have been requested of Randall during his attendance
at ITUG are:
- Ensure vendors are coming to the CTUG conference
- Determine if there are any speakers that would be good as presenters
at a technical session or key notes at the conference and see if we can
interest them in presenting for us.
- Determine if there are any topics that would be of particular interest
to our members. We can use them in future sessions.
- Make contact with members from Montreal, and determine if they have
any issues or questions regarding our renewed presence in Montreal
- Determine the interest level in Alberta. (Not that we necessarily will
do anything about it at this time, being busy with Montreal, but it may be
something where we get contacts and gauge interest for future reference.)
- Generally see what other things are around that will help maintain and
grow the organisation.
- Meeting Adjourned
Minutes taken by: Javid Quadri